Food Waste Hero: Allergens
By law, allergen information must always be available. There are 14 common allergens which must be declared if they are in food: 🌿 Celery, 🌾 Cereals containing gluten, 🦀 Crustaceans, 🥚 Eggs, 🐟 Fish, 🍞 Lupin (Flour often found in baked goods), 🥛 Milk, 🐚 Molluscs, 🌭 Mustard, 🌰 Nuts, 🥜 Peanuts, 🍔 Sesame seeds, 🌱 Soya, 🍷 Sulphur dioxide & sulphites (often found in wine).
Regular food donations
When you list an item as a FWH, a link is provided to our allergen webpage which details the ingredients in all items collected by Food Waste Heroes from regular businesses.
Irregular food donations
Unpackaged foods / regularly changing menus - A hardcopy of allergens in the items must be provided.
Labels must be easy to read with clear ingredients.
Loose items (no packaging)
Check out out specific guidance for How to share unpackaged food items.
❌To prevent cross-contamination:
- Try to put loose foods in separate bags.
- Keep food in its original packaging.
- Only use clean containers that have been thoroughly washed.
- If reusing bags, check for spillages after each collection.
- Do not put loose and packaged items in the same bag, and let us know if the business is doing so.
My FWH items are from a small, ad-hoc collection. What do I do about allergens?
If you have collected from an event, for example, allergen information should be provided by the business to Food Waste Heroes by one of the following methods:
- Digital copy sent by the business to the Food Waste Hero
- Hard copy provided by the business to the Food Waste Hero alongside the food collected
- Clear allergen labels on pre-packaged and prepared food
Please make sure you do not collect food without the allergen information. You must share it with any OLIOer who asks when requesting a listing from you.
If you have accidentally collected food from a business that has not provided you with allergen information, please use the contact form on the volunteer hub to let us know and then do not list the collection on OLIO.
I have collected loose, unpackaged items with no allergen information from my business. What do I do?
Please check out our detailed guidance in How to share unpackaged food items.