Delaying listings and notifications
Why are my listings & notifications delayed?
When you have 7 food pickups confirmed in a 7 day period, listings will be shown to you with a 1-hour delay. This is to ensure that as many people as possible get the opportunity to pick up food, and so OLIO can grow, and therefore save more food.
How the delay works
- When the person who is giving the item confirms that you are collecting something, this counts as 1 pickup.
- The delay is removed as soon as you no longer have 7 pickups arranged within 7 days.
- You will always be able to see business donated food that is added after 9pm (Local time) because this food needs to be shared as soon as possible.
- This is not a ban, there is no limit on the amount of food that you can collect on OLIO.
- Non-food pickups do not count towards your 7 pickups
How do I know if listings are being delayed?
- You will only receive an explanation message the first time that your listings will be delayed - after that the delay will still be applied but you will not receive a message.
- If in the last 7 days, you have been confirmed to pick up more than 7 listings you will be sent an OLIO's Little Helper message informing you of the delay
- If all new listings have been added 1 hour ago (and none have been added under 1 hour), it's likely that you have triggered the delay
This is because in order to be fair to everybody, we need to ensure that food is shared as widely as possible - not just to those with the fastest fingers. Also, for OLIO to grow and save as much food as possible we need to make sure that as many people as possible get to experience the joy of sharing food, not just the same small group.
We also have a responsibility to try and ensure that no-one becomes dependent upon OLIO as a source of food, especially because Food Waste Hero collection slots for example, can disappear with little or no warning.
We appreciate that being subject to this delay can be frustrating, but we thank you for your understanding and consideration of the OLIO community.
Does the delay result in more food being wasted?
We measure the % of food listings that are picked up very closely - every day in fact. Since introducing the notification delay we have seen no increase in the % of food listings being wasted, and yet we have seen a significant increase in the number of people benefitting from OLIO.
Where else can I access support & free food?
Click here to see a list of other useful services.