How to become a Squad Captain
How do I become a Squad Captain?
All Squad Captains must first be registered as Food Waste Heroes. Once you are registered as a Food Waste Hero, there are different routes you can take depending on whether or not you are already part of a squad.
Follow the steps below:
- If you are already part of a Food Waste Hero squad that does not yet have a Squad Captain:
- Please click the link in your squad’s group chat description, or head to the Volunteer Hub, select the Squad you want to become the Captain at, and hit 'Become the Squad Captain'. You will then receive a message within the OLIO app with further instructions. You need to watch a training video and book your induction call with OLIO.
- If you are not yet part of a Food Waste Hero squad:
- Claim a collection slot at a business near you! Click here to see which slots we have available, claim a slot, then follow the steps above, for Food Waste Heroes who are already part of a Food Waste Hero squad.
- If there are no collection slots available, you first need to sign on a new business to OLIO as a Squad Starter, so a new Food Waste Hero squad can be set up for you to lead!
Why are the longest-standing collectors being automatically appointed as Squad Captain if no one else steps forward?
As it is compulsory for each Squad to have a Captain, we hope that someone steps forward to take on this role. If no one steps forward, the longest-standing collector within the group will automatically be appointed to recognise their experience and commitment to the Squad.
How many groups can one user be a Squad Captain for?
As many as they think they can manage! We have no limit for groups you can be Squad Captain for but we do ask you to consider how much time you will be able to dedicate to each Squad. We reserve the right to refuse a user leading a group if we have doubts they’re going to meet everyone’s expectations.