Squad Captain: how to step up / down
✅ How do I become a Squad Captain?
All Squad Captains must first be registered as Food Waste Heroes. Once you are registered as a Food Waste Hero, there are different routes you can take depending on whether or not you are already part of a squad.
Follow the steps below:
- If you are already part of a Food Waste Hero squad that does not yet have a Squad Captain:
- Please click the link in your squad’s group chat description, or head to the Volunteer Hub, select the Squad you want to become the Captain at, and hit 'Become the Squad Captain'. You will then receive a message within the OLIO app with further instructions. You need to watch a training video and can book in an optional induction call with OLIO.
- If you are not yet part of a Food Waste Hero squad:
- Claim a collection slot at a business near you! Click here to see which slots we have available, claim a slot, then follow the steps above, for Food Waste Heroes who are already part of a Food Waste Hero squad.
- If there are no collection slots available, you first need to sign on a new business to OLIO as a Squad Starter, so a new Food Waste Hero squad can be set up for you to lead!
How many groups can one user be a Squad Captain for?
As many as they think they can manage! We have no limit for groups you can be Squad Captain for but we do ask you to consider how much time you will be able to dedicate to each Squad. We reserve the right to refuse a user leading a group if we have doubts they’re going to meet everyone’s expectations.
❌ How do I step down as Squad Captain?
We’re very sorry to hear that you’d like to step down as Squad Captain and hope you've enjoyed the experience. Please visit the My Squads section of the Volunteer Hub, select the squad you'd like to resign from, and click 'Step down as Squad Captain'.
The squad will be notified, and the position will become vacant for a new Squad Captain to take your place. If no one steps forward, the longest-standing collector from the Squad will automatically be appointed as the new Squad Captain.
Can I stay on as Squad Captain even if I step down from collections?
Yes! Whilst the Squad Captain should be a Food Waste Hero who has a great relationship with the store and has the time to commit to leading the squad, we understand that there may be circumstances that mean Squad Captains are no longer able to collect regularly themselves.
If this is the case for you, simply unassign yourself from your collection via the Volunteer Hub and you will retain the Squad Captain position.
Why have I been removed as Squad Captain?
We completely understand that being a Squad Captain is a big responsibility, and might not be right for everyone all of the time. It is so important that Squad Captains are there to support their squads. Therefore, in some cases where Squad Captains are not active in their group chats they may be removed.