Guidance for Squad Captains
What are the responsibilities of a Squad Captain?
The main responsibility of a Squad Captain is to ensure that food does not go to waste and that everyone in their squad is enjoying their volunteering experience. There are a number of ways this can be achieved, which are outlined in the Squad Captain Manual, available in the Volunteer Hub. As the responsibilities can vary by store, they will be explained to any new Squad Captain during their induction call with OLIO.
Squad Captains are also being relied on to maintain a positive community environment within each Squad and to proactively help Food Waste Heroes with any questions they might have.
As a Squad Captain, what do I do if someone in my Squad is being unreliable?
As per our volunteering agreement, certain behaviour is unacceptable in our friendly and responsible community. You can ask a Food Waste Hero in your Squad to step down from volunteering as a Food Waste Hero immediately if they:
- Break the rules set out in OLIO's Food Safety Management System
- Are assigned a regular collection slot at a local business but haven't done a collection personally over 21 days
- Do not show up for their collection twice without arranging for cover and food goes to waste
We also track bad behaviour which can damage the relationship with the food donor or with the Squad. This includes:
- Being late to a collection
- Showing inappropriate behaviour towards store staff
- Being inappropriate towards other Food Waste Heroes in the group
- Not distributing food fairly or being disrespectful to other members of the OLIO community.
In these instances, please email email@example.com to explain the situation. An OLIO team member will then investigate, and if needed ask the Food Waste Hero to step down and make their slot available for a different user to claim.
How can Squad Captains receive extra support?
All Squad Captains will receive a special induction when they step forward that gives tips on leading a group and to help address any initial queries.
If you need support beyond this please email firstname.lastname@example.org.