Selling Food on OLIO MADE

If you want to sell homemade food and drink on OLIO, it's your responsibility to ensure that you comply with all local regulations. Customers may ask you for proof of registration.

🇬🇧 Jump to selling food in the UK

🇺🇸 Jump to selling food in the USA

🇸🇬 Jump to selling food in Singapore

🇳🇿 Jump to selling food in NZ

🇬🇧 UK - You must register with a local council (exemptions below)

Exemptions: Selling homegrown produce and one-off charity bake sales do not require registration - make this clear in your listing

1. Register with your local council for free here! (10 mins)

  • It can take up to 28 days to receive final confirmation of your registration but you are generally allowed to trade once you have confirmation of your application
  • You don't need to register if you are selling homegrown fruit/ veg or raw produce like eggs or honey.

2. Decide how you want to trade (up to 30 mins)

  • As an INDIVIDUAL - You’re allowed to generate up to £1,000 of income without needing to declare it to HMRC - explained here
    • As a sole trader - If you anticipate you will generate more than £1,000 of income from selling food/crafts from home you need to inform HMRC. This is to alert them that you will pay tax through Self-Assessment. You need to register as a sole trader, even if you are part-time or have another job. You can do this at any time. 
    • As a Limited Company - Click here if you would like to register a Limited company

3. IF you want to register as a business, check out government guidance for starting a business at home here (30 mins)

  • You may need permission to run a business from home either from a landlord if you are renting or from your mortgage company if you are a homeowner
  • You do not need public liability insurance to sell products online. However, it is easy to get and can give some makers peace of mind.
  • If you employ anyone, there is a legal requirement to have employers liability insurance

4. Whether selling as an INDIVIDUAL or as a BUSINESS, it is wise to get up to speed on food hygiene and allergens (30mins - 1hr)

5. Both INDIVIDUAL and BUSINESS sellers should complete a HACCP (1-2 hours) 

  • Anyone who is food registered must have a HACCP in place. A HACCP is a type of risk assessment where you identify hazards and steps that can minimise them. Download links below:
  • You may find this Safer food, better business for caterers pack useful to understand and address food safety and hygiene risks.

6. Prepare for an online self-assessment of your kitchen and/or a visit from a food safety officer (30 mins)

  • Once you’ve completed your food registration, your Local Authority will likely offer an online self-assessment if you’re selling low-risk items or selling in small quantities 
  • If you’re selling large quantities and/or higher risk items, your local authority may get in touch to arrange a kitchen visit from a food safety officer
  • You may receive a food hygiene rating after completing this step

You’re all set!

For users outside the UK…

🇺🇸 USA - Please check with your local health department for any requirements before you sell food on OLIO

“If you are starting a home-based food business, you will need to understand the regulations of FDA and your state and local health department. Local and county health agencies inspect foodservice and food retail establishments, provide technical assistance to food facilities, and educate consumers about food safety.

Under federal regulations at Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), section 1.227 (21 CFR 1.227), a private residence is not a “facility” and thus, is not required to be registered with FDA.”

For more information, click here

🇸🇬 Singapore - Selling food from your home on a small scale does not require registration with the Singapore Food Agency

Residents intending to conduct small-scale businesses from their home premises should however note the various conditions laid out by the Housing and Development Board (HDB) and Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA). 

Click here for guidelines on good food hygiene practices for residents preparing food under HDB/URA’s home-based small scale business scheme are available on SFA’s website: 

Persons who handle and prepare food under this scheme are encouraged to attend the Basic Food Hygiene Course (also known as “WSQ Follow Food and Beverage Safety and Hygiene Policies and Procedures” course).

Operators will still be subject to section 40 of the Environmental Public Health Act (EPHA) on the provision of unfit food for consumption.

Section 40 EPHA: Articles of food unfit for human consumption

(1) No person shall, without lawful excuse, have in his possession for sale by retail any article of food intended for human, consumption which is unsound or unfit for human consumption.

🇳🇿 New Zealand - You must register with your local council

Click here for guidance on selling homemade food in New Zealand and watch the video below

Did this answer your question? Thanks for the feedback There was a problem submitting your feedback. Please try again later.