Please note, this only applies to iOS & Android mobile app users. Notifications are not yet featured in the web app.
To access your notification settings, tap the three horizontal lines on the top left of the main app screen to open the sidebar and then tap “Notifications”. This will open your notification settings where you can adjust which notifications you get and how often you get them.
Notifications not working?
First, please test whether your notifications are enabled…
- Open the ‘Notifications’ tab in the app sidebar
- Click ‘Test notifications’ and follow the below instructions based on the result.
Notifications are not enabled/ nothing happens when you click the test button...
- Please uninstall and then reinstall the app. This will not affect your account data.
- Tap the three horizontal lines at the top of the screen, tap ‘Notifications’ and then tap 'Test Notifications' again.
- Contact email@example.com if nothing happens.
If your notifications are enabled, which of the following problems do you have...
1. I get notifications that items have been added near me but when I check, there's nothing new there
A. This could be because you are getting notifications about non-food items and then checking the food items list or vise-versa.
2. I don't see notifications for a specific user's listings but when I go to their profile, there are active listings OR a recently signed up user in my area can see more live listings within the same distance.
A. This is because they are choosing to show their listing to new users (‘Newbies’) first so you will not receive notifications about these listings.
3. I receive notifications that there are listings nearby, but when I browse the listings page they aren't there.
A. Double-check your filter settings (the funnel icon top right in the app) to see if you are sorting by ‘newest’ or ‘nearest’. Please also be aware that half of all listings are requested in under 1 hour, so unless you’re quick, listings might be gone.
4. I am getting notifications for listings but they are delayed by an hour.
5. I don't get notifications whilst I'm using the app.
A. You will not receive notifications for new listings or messages when the app is open. This is how the majority of apps work (otherwise the app could be notifying you of something you’re already looking at).
6. I don't see a red dot on the app icon when a listing is added.
A. The red dot does not correspond to listings. It corresponds to your activity stream which you can find in the forum - click the 🔔 to see your updates.
If none of the above applies to you, it’s possible that we’re having issues sending notifications to your phone. Please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org letting us know as much information as possible about what is going wrong.