Impact, Activity and Responsiveness
Actions, however big or small, and taking initiative are core OLIO values. Your impact screen is your data centre and here you can learn more about how we calculate these statistics.
How do you calculate “People shared with”?
This is the total number of OLIOers you’ve had a share with. A share is counted whenever it is confirmed that a share is taking place in the messaging thread between two users for a particular listing.
How do you calculate “Meals saved”?
Meals saved is calculated when you give away a food listing. The average personal food listing has been estimated to contain 0.626 (or 62.6%) of a meal,
- We've considered a meal to be 0.42 kg (420g) of food
- On average, an OLIO food listing has 0.263kg (263g) of food
The estimated impact per Food Waste Hero items varies depending on the business from where the food was collected.
How do you calculate CO2 Saved?
CO2 saved is also calculated when you give away a food listing.
- For every 1 KG of food that is given away, we calculate a saving of 4.3182kg of CO2 for the environment.
How do you calculate “Water saved”?
By saving food, we also save the water that was used to grow and process that food. Based on data from a WRAP report “The water and carbon footprint of household food and drink waste in the UK”, the average personal food item requires 196 litres of water (this is calculated via sampling analysis).
The estimated impact per Food Waste Hero item varies depending on the business from where the food was collected.
What is "money saved" and how is it calculated?
- After you receive a request, your first response to that message contributes to the responsiveness score.
- Replies to x % of requests - this is based on first responses to the last 11 requests received
- Typically replies in x hours - this is calculated as the median of first response time for the last 11 requests received
- Automatic responses (when you send a mass message to all requesters) do count as a response to each requester
- Someone requesting from you in the middle of the night shouldn't affect your score as we use the median time for your first responses
I want to share with new users (which might mean ignoring regulars), but don't want it to affect my responsiveness score - what can I do?
You can use the "Show to newbies first" feature and add a 1 hour delay for all other users to see your listing
No. Non-food listings vary considerably in size and material, so we are not able to provide average water saved at present.
Does “Listings offered” and “Listings received” contain both food and non-food?
Keeping impact calculations up-to-date
These impact calculations are reviewed periodically. The impact values shown on this page are those applied to all new listings added to OLIO from 9 Oct 2020 onward. Different values apply to historic listings.