General allergen information
Who is responsible for allergens info, and how do I get it via OLIO?
OLIO users who request items are responsible for ensuring they have sufficient information related to any health and safety risks. Therefore, a user’s decision to accept food from another user is done at their own risk and this is explained in our T&Cs.
- If you are requesting items and have any known allergies, always check the listing thoroughly for allergen information or ask the OLIOer who is giving away the item.
- Packaged items sold in the UK should always have ingredients and allergen information labelled with the exception of packaged food which has been prepared or packed on-site (e.g fresh sandwiches).
- For prepared or packed on-site food rescued through our Food Waste Hero (FWH) programme, items will either be fully labelled or you can check items on our business allergens page.
- To safely share unpackaged items as a FWH, check out How to share unpackaged food items.
What are the main allergens?
There are 14 common allergens:
🌾 Cereals containing gluten
🍞 Lupin (Flour often found in baked goods)
🍔 Sesame seeds
🍷 Sulphur dioxide & sulphites (often found in wine)
- Take the free training course: https://allergytraining.food.gov.uk/
- Download the guide: Allergens-Leaflet.pdf