Why do we have ratings?
Sharing with our neighbours is a lovely thing, but sometimes it's helpful to know if another OLIOer has been reliable, polite and has created a positive experience
How is my rating calculated?
- Once you receive 3 ratings, your average rating will be displayed
- Once you receive 10 ratings, it will be displayed as an average but with the highest and lowest ratings ignored...
While it's important to understand if someone is giving a good experience, it can be really demotivating to receive an unfair rating. Imagine that you received twenty 5* ratings and just one 1* rating 😬... OLIO will ignore the top and bottom 10% of your ratings. So the 1* rating will be ignored at the bottom, and the 5* rating will be ignored at the top giving you a 5* average 😃.
Don't quite get it, here's an example:
Ivar has a rating of 4.5 ⭐, based on these ratings:
1, 3, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
As there are more than 10 ratings, OLIO ignores the lowest 1* and highest 5* rating (10% on either side):
1, 3, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
Ivar’s new rating is 4.8 ⭐ If Ivar continues to get 5 ratings, the lowest 3* rating will be ignored and the average will be 5*
Are ratings anonymous?
Yes. However, please note that it may be possible to see your rating increase or decrease as a result of a rating, especially when you only have a few ratings.
I can't see my rating / I have rated a user, but it’s not showing up. Why is that?
We only show a rating after a user has been rated 3 times - this is to allow ratings to be anonymous.
How can I rate another user?
- Go to your messages inbox
- Tap on the profile picture of anyone you have recently messaged with
- Tap on a star (5 is high, 1 is low). Your rating should take into account the other user’s quality of communication, timeliness for pickup and whether the item was as advertised.
- Note: Two users can only rate one another if the user giving the item away/selling the item has confirmed the pickup within the app
Can I change a rating?
Yes, Each user you share with can only rate you once but they can change the rating at any time.
How does my star rating affect my ability to use OLIO?
If you receive 3 low ratings (less than 3*) in the space of 1 month
and your average rating for the last month is below 3*, your account will be suspended for a 30 day period. This is to ensure that OLIOers give each other a great sharing experience.
How can I improve my rating?
We recommend you request a rating from users who you have shared with in the past:
- Go to the message thread with that user
- Tap the ⚡️ button
- Use the “Please rate me” quick reply
- Keep adding and requesting listings via the app and ensure that your shares are great!
If everyone has already rated you, try to focus on being polite, on time and efficient in your communication - these are the kind of things people will give you a 5* rating for.
Can I rate any user?
No, we only allow ratings after the adder has confirmed that the listing is going to be collected.
How come a "no-show" can give a rating?
Once a pick-up is confirmed, both people can rate each other. If we allowed tapping "no-show" to prevent the other person from being able to give a rating, then the system would quickly be abused by people clicking "no-show" in order to avoid getting a bad rating. In our experience, people who "no-show" rarely take the time to go and give a negative rating.
Ratings don’t work/I can’t rate another user
If you can’t rate another user, then it will be because the app doesn’t know that you have shared a listing with each other. In order to tell the app that two users have shared a listing, the person who added the listing needs to mark that the other user is picking the listing up – this is done by tapping the purple button within the messaging thread between you both.
My Rating has disappeared?!
- Check that you're logged into the right account
- If you've been suspended then your previous ratings are wiped to give you a fresh start