Updating your location & location privacy
Updating your location
You have 2 separate locations; your home location & the location of the items you add. These will be synchronised unless you change one and do not reset it.
To change your home location:
- Tap the menu icon ≡ at the top of the screen.
- Click on 'Location'
- Set a new location either by using the locate me button or by entering your address into the field.
- Don't forget to tap the purple button to save it!
This new location will then be used in the following ways:
- To calculate what listings are shown to you in the main ''listings' sections of the app
- To determine what new listings you are notified about (NB your notification distance & frequency can be customised in Notifications)
- As the default location for any new listings you add. However please be aware that existing listings will retain the location they were originally set with, unless you over-ride this.
- To do this, please go to My Listings, then select the listing and tap 'Edit' to update the location.
Please note that we do not currently have a function to allow users to set multiple locations.
Can other people see my location?
- All locations in the app are "fuzzied" up to 200 metres so the location you see for others is not their exact location
- Your own location is shown accurately to you but "fuzzied" for all other OLIOers
A personal listing
The map on your own listing will show your precise location in the centre of the circle
Someone else's listing
The map on someone else's listing will show their approximate location, fuzzied to 200m
OLIO Supporter map
The OLIO supporter map shows the approximate location of items fuzzied to 200m
Users near me
The users near me map shows the approximate location of OLIOers nearest to your home location